Thursday, April 3, 2008

Lesson Learned

In anything we do or encounter in life there are are lessons to be learned.
Here are some lessons learned through the past couple of weeks for me.

  • God is faithful
I honestly don't know how people go through a major loss in their life without God. He truly does give grace and strength at these times in our lives to allow us to go forward. My family and I experienced this over and over during the last couple of weeks and are grateful.
Thank you Father!
  • I am not a good crier
Crying is not easy for me. To be honest, it hurts. When I let go and cry it is like having the "dry heaves". It's not fun and I don't like it. It makes me feel weak and vulnerable. It's ugly too. This is one of those things that I have to do alone.
  • Good memories will sustain you and bring healing
Good memories are a gift from God. These memories allow you to have conversations that make you smile and laugh. Many of those that came to the viewing and service for my father shared their memories with us and it was such an encouragement and help.
I have so many good memories of my dad. Even the last few days up until his last breath are memories that I will cherish.
I value making memories now more than ever!
  • Good friends are priceless
I can't begin to tell you how blessed my family and I are to have good friends. Our family had so many friends from over the years bless us with cards, e-mails, phone calls, visits, flowers, meals and gifts. We can't even begin to say thanks for all that was done for us.
For me personally, when you are 12 hours away from home and you see your friends come walking in when you are hurting, you know you are blessed! These are the friends I enjoy doing life with. I would take a bullet for any of them. I love you guys!
  • You can learn how to live well and you can learn how to die well
I kept hearing this from those that were close to my dad at the end. Even when he could barely talk he would still say "Thank you" and "I love you" with a smile. He never complained about anything. He was kind and grateful at the end of his life.
I believe this is all about right relationships. A right relationship with God and others will keep you from being grumpy and mean at the end. I really want to live this out in my life.

I know there are many more lessons that I learned and will learn. These are the ones on my heart. I hope they will be a help to you when you have to face a loss.

One lesson I continue to learn is to be open and vulnerable with things in my life. It is not easy but even writing this today is a part of that process.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garland,
You continue to live up to the promise of your blog title, Example and Encouragement, with every entry! Your openess gives strength to others. Thank you for just being you.
-April

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing yourself so openly. I have been touched by your words, and your experience. I have learned so much through your example and heart.

Anonymous said...

Garland:

Even though I could not be there with you guys in person, I certainly was their in spirit. I will continue to pray for you and your family. You know how much your Mom and Dad have always meant to me and my family. You have the same wonderful spirit that was always so special about your Dad. Love you.

Charlotte McCulty

Anonymous said...

WOW..Garland. I've learned so much from reading your blog. You are such a mentor. Thank you for just being you. Janette

beverly said...

Gar,
I must confess today that I have not been reading your blog - however something tugged at my heart and said today is the day! Wow - I have not cried during this time because it was so important for me to stay strong for you, however, reading this today and seeing the picture of you holding your fathers hand will remain in my mind forever. How awesome to just sit and hold your fathers hand! You carry-on the "hero" title because you are a hero to many people, including me!
Stay strong - you are an encouragement to everyone who's life you touch!
Bev

Hal Mayer said...

Straight ahead bro- praying for you, Kelly, the girls and your Mom!

Clay NeSmith said...

Praying for you bro. We are always encouraged by you and your strong walk and trust. Clay and Kim N.

all day (allen d) said...

Great words to live by my brother. Very honored to be doing life with and your family-love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Garland-

I just was told about your dad. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mother last year so I understand a lot of what you are feeling. May God carry you through this time.

Jodi Slautterback