Monday, April 28, 2008

Another Hero

I just spent the last few days with My mom.


My father past away a month ago yesterday and I have said a lot about him over the past few weeks but not a lot about my mom. I think that even describes my mom a little. She has always been that quiet strength for our family. She stayed by my dad's side the entire time he went through his cancer. In the last few days she would lay on the floor or couch next to him listening for any small sound of need.
I went up to spend a few days with her this past week to help her plan for the future. We worked through all kinds of paper work, budgets, finances, bills, and a bunch of other things. I think we got a handle on most things.
We had a great time together. There were times where we laughed and other times where we cried a bit too.
We went to lunch one day and she looked at me and said, "we need to bring daddy here he would like this" and then we realized once again that he is gone. It is funny how we have those moments every once in a while.
One of the things that became obvious to me once again is how strong my mom is. She has her moments but she has such a positive outlook on things. I called her tonight to check on her and she told me that she spent the afternoon cooking a meal and a strawberry cake (her strawberry cake is unbelievable!!!) for a friend of ours that had a death in their family. She has such a deep desire to help others. We talked about some of the ways that she wants to be a help to single moms and other who are hurting.
I realize that I am blessed to have my mom in my life. She continues to be a Godly example to so many.
I am also aware of the fact that for the first time in over 54 years my mom is without my dad.


This past week my goal was to take some of her pain away and just be an encouragement to her.
I hope and think I was able to do that but as I look back that is something that she did for me. This among so many other reason is why she is another hero in my life.
I love you mom???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((((huge hug))))) I do not have the words.

Heather Orr said...

Praying for you all - please let us know if there is anything we can do.

We love you and Kelli and the girls so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Garland:

I know your Dad would be so proud of you right now -- taking care of Mom and being the encourager that you are so great at. I love you guys and will continue to pray for all of you.

Charlotte McCulty