Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pain

I am trying to figure out this pain thing but I am not getting very far.
I sat by my dad's bed early this morning and felt pain like I never have. Crying didn't help. Gritting my teeth didn't work. Praying helped a little but I gotta be honest and tell you it didn't take it all away.

I have had physical pain from injuries and stupidity.
I have had emotional pain from bad choices.
I have had mental pain from lack of preparation or execution.
I have had spiritual pain from ungodly decisions.

This one today seems to hurt more than all of those.
My dad is not in a lot of pain but for some reason I am and I hate admitting these kind of things. Maybe it is pride or the fear of being weak but now you know.

I just remember my dad being "Superman".














When he was around you better not mess with me or anyone he loved or was protecting.

I remember a neighbor cursing out my sister because our ball went in his yard. When dad got home he made it clear to the man that that would never happen again. Later he was embarrassed and even apologized to the man and us. That was just who he was. We loved it and felt safe and secure. I don't think that man ever yelled at us again.

It is hard to see "Superman" laying in a bed unable to move or talk and having a tough time breathing.
I wish I could take his place but I know he would never let that happen. I also know God has many plans with all of this.

Back to my pain...
While I was sitting by his bed hurting he his raised his delicate soft hand up and reached for mine. I placed my hand in his and I forgot about my pain for a while. I didn't have to say a word.














It is amazing how the pain subsides when you place your hand in the hand of your Father.
I did that with my heavenly Father today too.
It helped!

6 comments:

Ernie Holmes said...

Thanks for being so transparent Garland. We love you and are praying for you. E&K

by Troy Gramling said...

Praying for you...Sometimes when you share your pain like you did in your post it helps with the pain...Thank you for trusting us with your pain...Love you man...

Anonymous said...

I feel so honored that my husband and I were baptized by you on Easter morning. You are in our thoughts and most importantly, our prayers!
Erin

Anonymous said...

Gar you are such an inspiration to myself and so many others, thanks for be so real and transparent. I'm praying for you man.

Vaughn

Jena said...

Garland,

You are so awesome that even through your pain you are an inspiration. I am praying for you..and giving you big hugs...Jena

Shad Treadaway said...

Pastor Garland,
I know we haven't spoken...yet, but I want you to know my wife and I have been praying for you during this difficult time. Bob (Johnson) has shared great things with me about you and your charecter. May God continue healing you and your family during this time of loss!

...shad