Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Storms

We had a big storm come through early this morning. It was around 3:30 AM. There was a lot of lightning and thunder. The wind was blowing the rain against our windows. It sounded like they were going to break a couple of times.









Life brings us a storm every once in a while.
I have a friend who is waiting for his wife to pass away. She has cancer and is in the last moments of her life. I met with him and his daughter a few days ago to be ready for when she passes. It was amazing to me the strength that the two of them have in this storm. Their biggest concern was that we share with family and friends how they can have the same relationship with Christ that their wife (and mom) has. I know that the strength they have in their life right now is from God. I really respect and love these people.

Our family got some tough news this week. The doctor shared with my dad that the chemo he has been taking for the past six months has not been very effective. This is disappointing because we were hoping for a good report. They are going to try a couple of other medications and see where that will take us.

When my dad shared this with me he also shared with me how this gave him the opportunity to share with his doctor how important his relationship with Christ is. He told him that he is not worried about what is ahead because of that relationship. Just like my friend (who's name is Arnold by the way) I saw again how in the midst of a storm God brings hope and peace.

I would think that most of us have some type of storm going on in our life right now. I don't know what your storm is but I do know that God offers peace and hope even in the storm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garland, Kelli & Girls: We are praying for you as well as the other members of your family. Your Dad is a very special person. You and I both know that God is in control but it does not always make it easy. Love you guys.
Charlotte McCulty

Jena said...

Garland, Thank you so much for praying with me last night...you truly are an inspiration in my life and I thank God every day that he has brought me to FRC. I will be praying you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Garland I can really relate to the situation with your dad. I know their are no words to make something like this feel any better but I sure do know what a hug and a prayer can do for soul.So a BIG HUG and my prayers my brother.

Anonymous said...

Garland,

Praying for you, your family and your dad.

Regards,
Gezina.