Saturday, June 7, 2008

Family

I spent some time this week with a friend who was hurt by members in his family. 

I spent some time last night with a friend who was blessed by members in his family.

A friend of mine once told me that "the best and worst part of life was family". I know that there is some truth in that statement.

I sometimes say in joking but I guess still sharing truth that "everyone has a crazy aunt they keep in the closet". I heard that somewhere and at times it makes sense to me. I also wonder why it wasn't the uncle instead of the aunt.
I have heard some say, "you can choose your wife but you can't choose your family".

I was at a wedding last night. It was our First Impressions Director Melissa Nadlman's daughter Ansley's wedding. It was a beautiful event from the beginning to the end.

My favorite part of any wedding is watching people dance. There were some go-getters out there on the dance floor; in many ways!!!

One of the things that I observed last night was family.
I kept watching Melissa and her husband Jeff as they were watching their daughter and other family members. Their faces glowed with love, excitement and pride. They weren't missing anything. They reminded me of the mother duck in my back yard right now that is watching over her little ducklings.
I kept telling my wife, "look at Melissa's face", "look at at Jeff". It was fun watching their smiles and tears of joy in this moment.
What I saw last night was a family making memories. They were making the kind of memories that they will talk about and share for the rest of there life.

I really believe that one of the best parts of family is making those kinds of memories.
I can still remember some of the fun things that my family did when I was a kid. I have some of those memories now with my wife and kids.

I don't know what your family was like. I don't know if you have good or bad memories.
What I do know is you can change all of that now.

Start making memories that will last you a lifetime.

If you don't have a family, look around!
Our family doesn't just stop with those that live in our house it expands to those we do life with.
I believe the best place to find that is at church!
I love our church. "FRC"!

Congrats to Rob and Ansley! Go make some memories!


3 comments:

Arturo de la Mora said...

Very true about you can choose your wife and friends and you cannot choose your family... but even when some one on your family hurts you, you can choose to forgive and to love... is always about choices... our choices... Thanks for sharing this post!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it took me so long to read this-that night went by so fast but you are right-we made memories and we are still talking about them! We loved being able to become "one" family with the Summervilles. We loved sharing this wonderful day with our Flamingo family too. We are so totally blessed! This is a wonderful life!
Mel N

Anonymous said...

Wow Mel said it for me. I am still remebering the moments one by one as they pop back into my head. Both Mel and I are so proud to call you and Kelli our friends. We loved every minute of being surrounded by our local family (FRC) and those that traveled hundreds and even thousands of miles. I was blessed to see my brother whom I have not been able to see for over 4 years and my mother who is soon to be 91 years old and traveled here just for this event. Sometimes you are forced to get together for sad events. As my brother put we are thankful for being able to celebrate a happy event.

I felt especially blessed to spend time with Rob's family. I was apprehensive as we had not previously met Rob's dad and had only met Sandy over a brief weekend. As it turns out Bob is as crazy as me so we hit it off well. Sandy is a sweetheart and is raising three beautiful girls as well. I hope to spend time with both Bob and Sandy (Rob's Mom) as the years go by.

Thank you for your kind comments for being a special part of Ansley and Rob's life.

We love you guys and our FRC family as well.
Jeff N