Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Encouragement

This past weekend my wife and I were in Chicago. When I got up on Sunday morning and picked up my soon to be "old I-Phone" I started receiving text messages and e-mails. Almost all of them had the same theme. They were from friends and family sending "Happy Father's Day" messages.


The thing that made this so unique was they were not from my children. They were from those who wanted to invest in my life on a difficult day to encourage me.
As I tossed around in bed that morning before getting up I played the mind game for a while. I was contemplating on how I would try not to think about it being Father's day because that would mean I would call my dad first thing when I got up. At least that is what I would do every year until now. My dad was always an early riser so I would never have to worry about waking him up. It would also mean that I would have to face the pain of my first Father's day without him.

When I got up I did think about Father's day. I did push back the tears and hurt of my father not being here to receive my call. I took a moment and thanked God for all the awesome memories I have of my dad and then started receiving encouragement, love, and care from those that were sensitive to my needs on a tough day.

I was reminded again of the importance of encouragement and the difference that it makes.

When we made it back home Sunday night after a full day of traveling adventures and delays, I was greeted by my daughters with a homemade meal, gifts, and a lot of love.

Sunday was a good day!

 It became another day of thought, thankfulness, encouragement, love, and healing.

5 comments:

SmilingSally said...

God is generous to have given you so many years with such a terrific Dad and the wisdom to appreciate him. Happy memories!

Arturo de la Mora said...

Thanks for sharing a moment like this. Is always encouraging to see the way you face chalenges. Happy father's day!

Anonymous said...

Garland: I know your Dad was looking down on you from heaven last Sunday and telling everyone "that's my boy". He was so proud of you and so happy to be your Dad. Focus on all of those good memories that you have stored up because they are priceless. Love you.
Charlotte McCulty

Heather Palacios said...

Garland, what a beautiful post and a huge source of inspiration. I hope as I grow up (& grow old) that I leave a lasting legacy in my boys...in the same way that your Dad's left a legacy in your life and you're leaving one in your girl's lives.

Anonymous said...

Just thinking about you and want you to know it. Have a great week.