Friday, May 29, 2009

Desperation

"It is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things."
Henry David Thoreau

I wish I could say that I have always lived this characteristic of wisdom out in my life but the truth is I have not.
Sometimes things done in desperation work out but most of the time they don't.
I remember when my wife and I bought a car that was a piece of junk. It was an act of desperation. The good part of that story is that we learned a valuable lesson. Now when we make any large purchase we take at least a day to pray about it.
This is not an answer car-dealers like to hear but it has allowed us not to act impulsively or out of desperation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great word! I can't imagine how different my life would have been if I had acted out of desperation in certain circumstances. Vicki

SmilingSally said...

It's always good to follow God. He will keep us from desperation.