Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ash Trays and Church

I pulled up to FRC the other morning and I saw a ash tray when I got out of my car.


My first reaction was to start laughing.
I remember when I was a kid some of the men in our church would stand to the side of the front entrance and smoke their cigarettes before they came in.
The funny part is that the people who would complain the most about these smokers were tobacco farmers.
I can still remember my dad talking about it.
I guess the reason I started laughing when I saw this is that I know some people will complain about it. They might even say that we are making it easier for some to smoke.
The way look at it is that I am so honored to work at a church that is reaching people in our community. When you are in the people business it can get messy every once in a while. After all they are just like you and me.
I hope you will leverage everything you can to bring people to FRC this Easter weekend.
We will be ready for you and them. Ash trays and all!
Check out the link below for the service times at all 7 campuses....
Don't miss it and don't come alone!

3 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I smoked for over ten years and during that time, I would have appreciated this. The Bible teaches us to be kind to one another.

Anonymous said...

This is a touchy subject with me. I lost my Mom to emphysema (her Dad was also a tobacco farmer) and my father-in-law to lung cancer. But I guess it beats having butts on the grounds. :) Hate the habit, but love the people. Welcome! Vicki

chad said...

When Cat and I first got married in 95 we worked at a little church in a town of 2000 in east Texas. The people there kept an empty Sonic cup on their dashboard to spit their dip in when they were out and about. Driving around with a 3/4 filled cup of snuff seemingly near full out slosh on the dash is an art form all together. The artistry of keeping that styrofoam cup from tipping on back country roads was pure majic.