Saturday, August 23, 2008

Moments like this are a gift from God

I had an awesome gift on this past Thursday.

I had the opportunity to baptize my friend Jose's dad.

I have known Jose for over 20 years. We moved into our current neighborhood directly across the street from each other without knowing we were doing it.
Over the years we have become very close friends.
I have had the opportunity to baptize Jose, his wife Mary, and their daughter Nicole.

Jose and his family drove all the way to South Carolina when my dad passed away just to be there for us.

We both love "The U" and have had season tickets together for many years.
We try to go to at least one away game with a few of our other close friends each year.

We have accumulated many great memories over the past years together.

This past Thursday was one of the greatest that we have shared together.
One of the things that Jose and I have always had in common is respect for our fathers.
This is something we have talked about often over the years.

I have seen this to be true in Jose's life over the past 4 years especially. His dad has had colon cancer and is now in his last days. He was in the hospital this past week where the doctors told Jose that it would be just a short time before his days are gone.

Jose and his dad have talked about baptism several times and this week decided that it was something that needed to be done before he passes.
They came directly from the hospital to the church when he was discharged and we baptized him.
A bunch of our staff came out to celebrate this moment with them.

I believe that this was one of my greatest moments in ministry.

I lost my dad just a few months ago and I am still working through the grieving process.
I know that moments like this are a gift from God. 
This is true not just for me but for all of us that were there.
After we were done I spent some time alone for a while just working through my own loss but also celebrating the gift that God gave us. 
This weekend we are starting a new series at FRC and we will be highlighting Jose and his dad.
Don't miss it!

5 comments:

SmilingSally said...

God sure knows where to place people.

Unknown said...

I don't think there was a dry eye in the audience when the clip was played showing Jose's father being baptised. This day was very special because Jesus nudged my beautiful wife's heart and she was baptised at FRC today! I'm next!

BZ Ward said...

Garland, I have to tell you I was sobbing (quietly) during the video. So blessed for you, and especially for Jose and Mary. Gives me hope for my own dad! I think that is one reason why it was so touching for so many...

Anonymous said...

Garland this was such a beautiful story and I too was brought to tears by the story. Knowing that you have so recently lost your own father and to be able to share such a moment with Jose and his father was purely a gift from God. God bless you, God bless Jose and his family and most importantly, God bless his father.

all day (allen d) said...

It was one of my most memorable moments too Bro. It really is amazing to see God's power unleashed.